Original Artwork   Fine Art   Commissions   Exhibits   Teaching   Contact   Demos   Tutorials   Facebook

Saturday, July 16, 2011

More Studio Ramblings - Quick, Cheap & Easy Vertical Storage

In the effort to get my studio organized (again) I needed to come up with a solution for my growing number of canvases and panels that have been cluttering up every inch of my studio.  I have seen several different options ranging from reasonably priced to ridiculously expensive.  I thought I would see if I can come up with a system that I can make with limited power tools, I can not be trusted with power tools... and that I can make by myself so I am not waiting on anyone, I won't mention any names.   I also did not want it to be too tall as I want to keep the wall space free to hang finished works from my gallery wall again once I rewire it...that is another story!

So off to Home Depot I went and picked up a sheet of  1/8" 2x4" pegboard.  In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a 1/2" as it would have been sturdier but I can reinforce if needed.  I had them cut it in half as most of my canvases and panels are not larger 22" wide.  I bought a 2x4" and cut into 4 equal pieces to act as the legs.  Home Depot has a cutting area with a hand saw and metal beam type cutting area so it was pretty quick & easy to cut on the spot.
When I got home I pre-drilled holes in the 2x4" and screwed them into each corner with a screw gun.

Then I used some acid free twine and pulled it through every other hole about 4 holes from the outer edge to create a support for the panels to rest upon.  I have seen artists online use dowels rather than twine which would also increase the sturdiness but each dowel would need to be cut to fit.  I would have to use a hand saw as table saws scare the bigeezes out of me.  I seriously have to leave the yard when my hubby uses one.  I think it is the curse of being an artist,  overactive imagination combined with overly detailed mental images, ugh.
So I figured, go with the cheaper saw-free twine and if I am not happy with it then go to plan "B" of the dowels.

I tied a loop on one end then slid a bobbie pin through the loop to act as a needle.

This made going through each hole super easy and was able to just keep pulling every few inches to space out the twine properly until the end. I should have taken a photo of the bottom side as well but I just across two holes rather than vertically. But I am happy to say the twine worked out very nicely.

The top also makes a great drying area for paintings in progress and I can see them from my easel so I can get a bit of distance from them while planning the next stages of each painting.  In the future I may make a second piece which could sit on top too.  Hopefully that will not be necessary but always good to be scalable ;)
Top needs to be reinforce but holds over 20 canvases
I will add a few additional 2x4" posts to make the rack sturdier so that the top is flat and can support heavier items on the top.

I should have taken a before photo of my studio to show how much space these canvases took up before as they used up every free inch of wall that I could lean them against, so much nicer now!
I put one of my unfinished paintings in front to hide the canvases.  I started this at an acrylic workshop over a year ago and now that it is front and center in my studio, maybe it will get finished.

2 comments:

christine yurchuk said...

Good idea Tracey - storage areas
can get expensive and you've come up with a pretty good alternate!

Costescu said...

Thanks Chris and I can do it myself, that was key ;)

It is so nice to finally be able to "see" my studio again, I kinda don't want to ever leave :)