yay, starting to feel human again ;)) and I am happier with how this is looking now. I keep forgetting I am working in acrylics, not watercolor so I need to work from dark to light, not from light to dark.
I spent many hours painting beautiful layers of the lights only to realize later that of course they need to be covered up as they are too transparent in the acrylics.
With watercolor, this technique works great as even though the layers are transparent, they still end up covering the substrate enough to create a great deal of depth. I found with the acrylics that no matter how many layers I was applying of the lights, while it looked nice, it just was not giving me the level of coverage that I was after. So I added several layers of mid tones and a bit more of the darks blended in and I am liking the coverage much more.